This plant bears terminal racemes of two to three nodding blue flowers, sometimes with white tips.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsA white form of this species exists, var. alba.
CareProvide part shade and good drainage. Alpine columbine can be grown in stone walls.
PropagationSow seed in a cold frame in spring. Cultivars can be divided in spring, but plants respond slowly to root disturbance.
ProblemsPowdery mildew, rust, fungal leaf spots. Aphids, leaf miners, and caterpillars.
- Genus : Aquilegia
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Bloom Time : Late Spring, Spring
- Maintenance : Low
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Self Seeds, Showy Seed Heads
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest