The fan columbine produces short, plump, nodding, blue-purple flowers with white petal tips.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsSeveral cultivars offer superior characteristics.
CareCombine with ferns to cover foliage once it begins to fade in summer.
PropagationSow seed in a cold frame in spring. Can divide cultivars in spring but plants respond slowly to root disturbance.
ProblemsPowdery mildew, rust, fungal leaf spots. Aphids, leaf miners, and caterpillars.
- Genus : Aquilegia
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Self Seeds
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Flower Color : White