This lovely goldenrod has velvety leaves that are gray-green in summer and dusky rose in autumn. It has broad, flattened clusters of rich yellow flowers, which create a striking display on stems 2 to 5 feet tall.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsSolidago reliably provides end-of-season color in blazing shades of yellow to the wild garden or naturalistic plantings.
CareGrow in lean to moderately fertile, well-drained soil in full sun or part shade. Deadhead to prevent prolific self-seeding.
PropagationDivide in spring or fall.
ProblemsSpot anthracnose, powdery mildew, rust, fungal spots.
- Genus : Solidago
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant, Drought Tolerant, Frost Tolerant
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Self Seeds, Showy Seed Heads
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Flower Color : Yellow
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.