If you want a summer-flowering shrub with great fall color, look no further. Fritsch spirea jumps out with a striking red, orange, and yellow glow even brighter than the fall color of oaks and maples. It has coarser foliage than others in the genus, and if sheared back in spring, it produces giant summer blooms.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsLarge summertime flowers and glowing fall foliage.
CareProvide full sun and average soil. Shear back in spring for larger blooms in summer.
ProblemsNothing serious, but watch for leaf spot, fire blight, powdery mildew, root rot, aphids, leaf roller, and scale.
- Genus : Spiraea
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Characteristics : Showy Fall Foliage
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Flower Color : White