This plant has densely tufted, spreading clumps of strap-like, flowing foliage. Pale blue-gray leaves arch loosely. In summer, it produces stiff, upright, blue-gray spikes of flowers that turn buff.
CareThis grass is tough anywhere, but it is invasive and needs curbing in the spring. Grow in well-drained soil. Cut down in autumn.
PropagationDivide from mid-spring to early autumn.
ProblemsErgot, root rot, and leaf spots can occur.
- Genus : Elymus
- Zones : 10, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun
- Plant Type : Grasses
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest