Versatile, attractive and care-free ornamental grass with wheat-like appearance. Slender, upright, deep-green, lustrous foliage becomes effective by early spring and lasts all the way until winter. A cool season grass, 'Karl Foester' is upright and clump forming, with purplish-green, feathery plumes to 6'. It distinctively blooms in early summer rather than fall and must have winter chill to bloom. Long lived — 25 years or more. -Santa Rosa Gardens
Noteworthy CharacteristicsConsidered drought tolerant and deer resistant once established. Attracts birds to the garden.
CareLeave foliage and flowers for winter effect, cut back in early spring near ground. Does not reseed. This is an excellent choice of grass for creating a hedge, backdrop or screen effect.
PropagationDivide in mid-spring.
ProblemsErgot, powdery mildew, tar spot, smut, and foot rot can occur.
- Genus : Calamagrostis
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant, Drought Tolerant
- Bloom Time : Fall, Spring, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Plant Type : Grasses
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Flower Color : Pink
- Characteristics : Showy Seed Heads
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.