This dramatic fern diplays 4-foot-tall arching fronds that form impressive clumps with age. It is a hybrid of two native ferns and makes a wonderful groundcover.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsTolerates dry shade.
CareThis plant tolerates full sun, but does best in shade with moist soil.
PropagationSow spores at 59°F when ripe. Divide plants in spring or autumn.
ProblemsRust, leaf gall, and fungal spots can occur.
- Genus : Dryopteris
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Flower Color : Green
- Uses : Ground Covers
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest