Bright yellow heart-shaped flowers bloom in April or May; bloom continues off and on throughout the season. This climbing perennial can reach 3 feet high and wide. The species is native to the Himalayas.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsFoliage may aggravate skin allergies.
CareGrow in fertile, well-drained, slightly alkaline soil in part shade and allow to self-sow. Provide a strong support for its tender weaving tendrils. May be grown as an annual in cooler climates.
PropagationSow seeds in a cold frame when ripe. Divide in spring.
ProblemsSlugs and snails can attack new foliage. Powdery mildew, rust, fungal leaf spot, and verticillium wilt.
- Genus : Dicentra
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 7, 8, 9
- Characteristics : Attracts Hummingbirds
- Uses : Containers
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Summer, Summer
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Light : Partial Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Flower Color : Yellow