Golden yellow foliage emerges from the ground in early spring and is soon accompanied by rosy-pink broken hearts that open in succession for nearly a month as the stems elongate.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsGolden foliage. Leaves may aggravate skin allergies.
CareGrow in fertile, well-drained slightly alkaline soil in partial to full shade. Allow to self-sow. Cut back after foliage yellows and withers.
PropagationSow seeds in cold frame when ripe; divide in spring.
ProblemsSlugs and snails can attack new foliage. Powdery mildew, rust, fungal leaf spot, and verticillium wilt.
- Genus : Dicentra
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Characteristics : Attracts Hummingbirds, Showy Foliage
- Uses : Containers, Shade
- Bloom Time : Late Spring, Spring
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Light : Partial Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink, White
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.