Abundant eye-catching, brilliantly red, tubular flowers appear in midsummer atop bold, slightly arching, sparsely branched 3-foot-tall stems. Crocosmia’s midgreen leaves are pleated and swordlike.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsCrocosmia make excellent cut flowers and attract hummingbirds.
CareThrives in a warm, south-facing location. Site near a wall where not reliably hardy. Apply a thick layer of mulch in winter. Plants also require well-drained soil. Lift and divide clumps in spring to maintain vigor.
PropagationDivide in spring.
- Genus : Crocosmia
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 6, 7, 8, 9
- Characteristics : Attracts Hummingbirds, Showy Foliage
- Uses : Containers
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Red
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest