An oversize tender perennial, blood banana has large, fleshy, rubberlike leaves with dark markings. The foliage is green with random reddish purple blotches. On mature plants, orange or red flowers develop into inedible orange fruits. -Julia Jones, Designing with annuals, Fine Gardening issue #120
CareProvide full sun and humusy soil in a sheltered location, away from wind.
PropagationFrom offsets or seed. Seeds may take several months to germinate.
ProblemsCucumber mosaic virus, black leaf streak, anthracnose, wilt, spider mites, aphids, mealybugs, burrowing nematode.
- Genus : Musa
- Zones : 10, 11, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Uses : Containers
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Red
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest