This 2005 All-America Selections® winner is a cultivar of our native blanket flower. It covers itself in large reddish flowers with yellow edges up to a month earlier than other gaillardia. Growing to just about a foot tall and wide, it is beautiful at the front of a border.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsOrange-red daisy flowers with yellow edges over a long period. Attracts butterflies. Blooms quickly from seed.
CareGrow in full sun and poor to average, well-drained soil. Deadhead regularly.
PropagationStart seeds indoors in spring at 55° to 64°F. Divide in spring or take root cuttings in winter.
ProblemsMildews, rust, white smut, leaf spots, slugs, snails.
- Genus : Gaillardia
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Fall, Late Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Red, Yellow
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest