Cardinal flower has reddish purple stems and lance-shaped, often glossy, bright green leaves tinged with bronze. Bold red spikes of tubular two-lipped flowers with reddish purple bracts appear in summer and early autumn.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsUseful near water or in a wildlife pool.
CareGrow in deep, fertile, moist soil or in containers of acidic soil near water.
PropagationDivide in summer. Take bud cuttings in midsummer.
ProblemsRust, smut, leaf spots, and slugs.
- Genus : Lobelia
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Characteristics : Attracts Hummingbirds
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium to Wet
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Red
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest