A native perennial shrub that grows to about 2 feet tall and wide and covers itself the whole season with honey-scented, white and yellow daisy flowers. The foliage is typical of the aster family. Plant en masse in a well-drained border or use in a rock garden. Blackfoot daisy can be short-lived.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsHoney scented, daisy-like flowers. U.S. native.
CareNeeds very good drainage and full sun or a little shade.
PropagationStart from seed.
- Genus : Melampodium
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 11, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Early Summer, Late Spring, Late Summer, Summer
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers
- Light : Full Sun
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Flower Color : White, Yellow
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.