The herb of kings combines superbly with roses. Different cultivars vary in leaf shape, scent, and color, from green to deep purple, with blue, white, burgundy, or pink flowers.
CareGrow in light, fertile, well-drained soil in a warm, sheltered site in full sun. Water freely during dry periods. Pinch flowerheads to prolong leaf growth.
PropagationSow indoors and transplant outside, or sow in situ in early summer.
ProblemsAphids, bacterial and fungal leaf, stem, and root diseases.
- Genus : Ocimum
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 11, 9
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Moisture : Adaptable
- Uses : Containers
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers, Fragrant Foliage, Showy Foliage
- Light : Full Sun
- Plant Type : Herbs
- Maintenance : Low
- Flower Color : Pink, White
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.