The herb of kings combines superbly with roses. Different cultivars vary in leaf shape, scent, and color, from green to deep purple, with blue, white, burgundy, or pink flowers.
CareGrow in light, fertile, well-drained soil in a warm, sheltered site in full sun. Water freely during dry periods. Pinch flowerheads to prolong leaf growth.
PropagationSow indoors and transplant outside, or sow in situ in early summer.
ProblemsAphids, bacterial and fungal leaf, stem, and root diseases.
- Genus : Ocimum
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 11, 9
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Moisture : Adaptable
- Uses : Containers
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers, Fragrant Foliage, Showy Foliage
- Light : Full Sun
- Plant Type : Herbs
- Maintenance : Low
- Flower Color : Pink, White
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest