Scott Endres, co-owner of Tangletown Gardens (one of the coolest nurseries EVER!) in Minneapolis, Minnesota, created this planting for the box on the porch of his St. Paul, Minnesota, home. It’s a diverse mixture of plants that makes a big and bold statement. Scott’s good at big and bold statements. You can check out his amazing garden here. In the meantime, here’s a list of the plants in this little corner of his garden world:
1. Tropical smokebush (Euphorbia cotinifolia, USDA Hardiness Zones 9-11)
2. ‘Rainbow’ Swiss chard (Beta vulgaris ssp. cicla ‘Rainbow’, annual) *you can eat it!!
3. Variegated St. Augustine grass (Stenotaphrum secundatum ‘Variegatum’, Zones 9-11)
4. ‘Thompsonii’ variegated flowering maple (Abutilon pictum ‘Thompsonii’, Zones 8-11)
5. ‘Profusion Apricot’ zinnia (Zinnia ‘Profusion Apricot’, annual)
6. ‘Kent Beauty’ ornamental oregano (Oreganum ‘Kent Beauty’, Zones 5-8)
7. Ruby grass (Melinus nerviglumis, Zones 9-11)
Welcome to the Fine Gardening GARDEN PHOTO OF THE DAY blog! Every weekday we post a new photo of a great garden, a spectacular plant, a stunning plant combination, or any number of other subjects. Think of it as your morning jolt of green.
READER PHOTOS: We love featuring your photos, too. If you think you have a photo that we should share on the Garden Photo of the day, email us. Send hi-res images if possible. We’ll only respond if we plan to use your photo.
Get our latest tips, how-to articles, and instructional videos sent to your inbox.