Things I love about this space at Old Westbury Gardens:
1. The historic grandeur
2. The strong contrast between the bright white columns and their deep green background
3. The draping branches of the trees
4. The simple, calming pool set flush amidst the lawn
5. The reflection of the columns in the water
6. The way the shape of the pool reflects the shapes of the columns
Oh, I could go on…. Have I missed anything? There are lots of things I want to take away from this space for my own garden. I would love a small pond, flush to the ground. The opportunities for reflections are endless! It also makes me think more about the different greens I have in my garden, and how they relate to each other. It’s almost a sub-palette to work with in imaginative ways. What could YOU take away from this space, as formal and grand as it is, to give you inspiration for your garden?
Get our latest tips, how-to articles, and instructional videos sent to your inbox.