The tiered branches of this fast-growing species are covered with white blossoms for over a month, starting in late summer. The flowers fade to reveal fuchsia calyxes that persist well into autumn. The pale, peeling bark can be exposed by pruning the lower branches of the interior. Although the form of the species is variable (single or multi-stemmed), it can usually be pruned into an elegant vase-shaped specimen, or maintained as a shrub.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsSpecimen tree with drought and salt tolerance.
PropagationSow seed indoors when fresh; take softwood cuttings in spring.
- Genus : Heptacodium
- Plant Width : 10 to 15 feet
- Plant Height : 15 to 30 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Tolerance : Drought Tolerant
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Bloom Time : Fall, Summer
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Characteristics : Interesting Bark, Showy Fruit, Showy Seed Heads
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Flower Color : Pink, White
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Plant Type : Trees