Bold, large, shield-shaped leaves with a deep green center and creamy-white margins turn white with age. Funnel-shaped mauve flowers borne on leafy scapes 32 inches long appear in midsummer.
CareGrow in moist but well-drained, fertile soil. A shade lover, hosta thrives in moist, even wet, soil, but also tolerates dry shade. Grows best with full morning sun. Tolerates drought, but a summer mulch is beneficial.
PropagationDivide plants in late summer or early spring.
ProblemsSlugs and snails. In containers, watch for vine weevil. Also viruses and foliar nematodes.
- Genus : Hosta
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Moisture : Adaptable
- Uses : Containers, Ground Covers
- Tolerance : Drought Tolerant
- Light : Partial Shade to Full Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Bloom Time : Summer