A clump-forming perennial with flat-spreading, blue-colored leaves, Japanese rock hosta bears funnel-shaped white flowers, sometimes flushed with purple, on arching, leafy scapes 24 inches long.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsUse in the back of a mixed border or as landscape specimens.
CareGrow in moist but well-drained, fertile soil. Shade tolerant. Grows best with full morning sun. Tolerates drought, but a summer mulch is beneficial.
PropagationDivide plants in late summer or early spring.
ProblemsSlugs and snails. In containers, watch for vine weevils. Also viruses and foliar nematodes.
- Genus : Hosta
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Tolerance : Drought Tolerant
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Uses : Ground Covers
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Flower Color : White