This is a sweet Swiss chard with beautiful candy-apple-red stalks and dark green, crinkly leaves with touches of red. Both the leaves and the stalks are very ornamental and ‘Ruby Red’ is great in a vegetable or cottage garden, or in an ornamental bed or border. It is especially attractive when grown with plants whose colors call attention to the red coloring. Although related to beets, the root is inedible, but the leafy greens are valued for their mild flavor and high nutritional value.
CareFull sun or partial shade in rich, light but moist soil. Water thoroughly during dry spells to avoid bolting.
PropagationSow seeds where they are to grow in early spring or late summer.
ProblemsProne to fungal leaf spots, downy mildew, powdery mildew, damping off, and root rots. Leaf miners, aphids, and caterpillars can be troublesome as well.
- Genus : Beta
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Type : Annuals
- Uses : Containers
- Tolerance : Frost Tolerant
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest