An unusual looking perennial from Turkey and Syria with hooded, pale yellow flowers encircling hairy stems. The flowers somewhat resemble Monarda. Leaves are aromatic and slightly fuzzy. P. russeliana reaches 3 feet tall and nearly as wide. Grow en masse in a border or near a warm wall.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsUnusual yellow, hooded flowers in whorls around stems.
CarePrefers full sun but will tolerate a little shade. Soil should be well-drained and fertile. Deadhead.
PropagationStart seeds indoors in spring at 55-64°F, or divide in spring or fall.
ProblemsUsually problem-free except for leaf hoppers.
- Genus : Phlomis
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Early Summer, Late Spring, Late Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Flower Color : Yellow