This eye-catching perennial has silver-plated leaves with speckled margins. Its blooms are among the largest of all lungworts, beginning as pink buds and opening in early spring to display platinum blue flowers.
This plant will eventually form a decent-sized mound that resembles a mountain of liquid silver. It's perfect in a woodland border and makes a great ground cover and container plant. In mild winters, its leaves may stay evergreen.
CarePartial shade (morning sun with afternoon shade is best); rich, moist, well-drained soil; good air circulation. Do not allow plants to dry out. Also, too much sun and heat will kill this plant.
Propagation Divide clumps in the spring or fall; apply a small dose of fertilizer when transplanting.
Problems In hot, humid locations, watch out for powdery mildew.
- Genus : Pulmonaria
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Uses : Containers, Ground Covers
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Spring
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Light : Partial Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Foliage Color : Silver/Grey
- Growth Rate : Slow
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest