‘Prairie Fire’ is a distinctly red form of switchgrass. Blue-green spring foliage turns shades of deep red by early summer and butter yellow in late fall. The grass persists into winter. ‘Prairie Fire’ has a fibrous root system that grows to more than 10 feet deep, making it drought tolerant. -Scott Vogt, Native grasses, Fine Gardening issue #124
CarePlant in full sun, and divide every three years to manage the vigorous growth.
ProblemsBlack ring, rust, smut, leaf spots, damping off.
- Genus : Panicum
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Uses : Containers
- Tolerance : Drought Tolerant
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Fall Interest
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun
- Plant Type : Grasses
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Fall Foliage, Showy Foliage
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.