Golden yellow plumes and a vase-like form give 'Indian Steel' a refined look. On the flower spikes, bright yellow pollen sacs stand out against the darker seed heads. Metallic blue foliage morphs to a coppery tan shade after frost. 'Indian Steel' tolerates a range of soil types, including heavy clay. -Scott Vogt, Native grasses, Fine Gardening issue #124
CareFor best results, plant in medium to dry soil and in full sun.
PropagationBy dividion or by seed.
ProblemsNo serious problems.
- Genus : Sorghastrum
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Early Spring, Early Summer, Late Spring, Late Summer, Spring, Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Fall Interest
- Light : Full Sun
- Plant Type : Grasses
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Fall Foliage, Showy Foliage
- Flower Color : Yellow
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.