Through the fall and into winter, pincushion hakea provides beautiful cut flowers for the holidays; the foliage and seedpods are also great for arrangements. You can prune it into a bushy shape or a slender, small tree. As a member of the Protea family, pincushion hakea does not like phosphorus fertilizer, and like most Australian plants, it prefers to be well mulched so that its specialized roots can extract nutrients from the mulch layer.
CareProvide full sun to partial shade and well-drained soil.
PropagationIn summer, root semi-ripe cuttings with bottom heat.
ProblemsMoist soil may lead to problems with root rot.
- Genus : Hakea
- Zones : 10, 11, 9
- Plant Height : 10 to 15 feet
- Plant Width : 6 to 10 feet
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Fall, Late Fall, Winter
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Fall Interest
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers, Showy Seed Heads
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Flower Color : Red
- Plant Type : Shrubs