A soft-stemmed shrub grown for its extraordinary foliage, Persian shield has thick, quilted purple leaves to 6 inches long splashed with iridescent pewter or silver. In autumn, it bears delicate funnel-shaped violet flowers in an eye-catching spike formation.
CareBest grown in part or full shade for optimum leaf color and growth. Needing very little care, it is drought-tolerant, heat-loving, and relatively pest-free. Not hardy beyond Zone 10, so it may be cut back hard in late fall, potted up, and brought inside.
PropagationRoot basal or softwood cuttings in spring or early summer. Cuttings root easily in moist sand.
ProblemsSometimes affected by root rot and spider mites.
- Genus : Strobilanthes
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 11
- Uses : Containers
- Bloom Time : Fall
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Light : Partial Shade to Full Shade
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest