This is a short-growing aster with lilac-blue flowers and creeping rootstocks. Many cultivars exist. It can be used on steep slopes for erosion control.
CareTo transform this aster into a densely-flowered groundcover, cut it back hard in early spring or autumn.
ProblemsAsters are sometimes plagued by fungal diseases. The most common are wilt disease, powdery mildew, and botrytis.
- Genus : Aster
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Bloom Time : Fall, Late Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Uses : Ground Covers
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Flower Color : Yellow
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.