This three-foot-tall evergreen shrub bears many tubular, blue or purple, petunia-like flowers on dark stems over a long period. Each flower lasts for just one day. It is a fast grower that may self-seed aggressively. Use in a border, container, or at waterside. Can be grown as an annual in cooler areas.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsPetunia-like flowers from spring to frost. Native to Mexico and the southwestern U.S.
CareRuellia needs a warm climate. Site in partial shade and fertile, consistently moist, but well-drained soil.
PropagationSeed or softwood cuttings in spring. Self-sows aggressively if conditions are right.
- Genus : Ruellia
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 11, 8, 9
- Uses : Containers
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Early Summer, Late Spring, Late Summer, Summer
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium to Wet
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest