This versatile ornamental grass has slender, upright, deep-green foliage. A cool season grass, it is upright and clump forming, with purplish-green, feathery plumes that can reach 6 feet in height. It blooms in early summer rather than fall and must have winter chill to bloom.
Information provided by Santa Rosa Gardens.
CareAnnual maintenance consists of cutting the old growth down in early spring before new growth starts. Reed grass grows out from the center, and after a few years, you may discover a hole-in-the-doughnut effect. When this happens, dig the plant up and divide it. Preferred time for dividing is in spring.
- Genus : Calamagrostis
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant, Drought Tolerant
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Plant Type : Grasses
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage, Showy Seed Heads
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest