Leaves emerge a lovely pastel orange, changing to stunning bright yellow through the summer with red seeds that push up above the leaves. Introduced by Fratelli Ghiradelli and named after his son, this tree provides a big splash of color and thrives with full sun. It’s a vigorous upright tree. At last a yellow tree for the colder climates!
Noteworthy CharacteristicsCreamy yellow foliage all summer, even in full sun. Excellent sun tolerance.
CareSlightly acidic, well-drained soil; consistent water.
PropagationGrafting is generally recommended for full moon maples
ProblemsEdges of leaves will brown when water has high mineral content; deer browsing might be an issue. Information provided by Essence of the Tree
- Genus : Acer
- Plant Height : 15 to 30 feet
- Plant Width : 15 to 30 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Fall Interest
- Uses : Foundation Plantings, Front Yard, Sun
- Tolerance : Frost Tolerant
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium to Wet
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Characteristics : Showy Fall Foliage, Showy Foliage, Showy Seed Heads
- Bloom Time : Spring
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.