Large, flat-topped flowerheads in shades of purple add soft color and texture to the summer and fall garden. The leaves are purple-tinged on thick stems with maroon spots. Butterflies love this eastern U.S. native.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsGrow this plant where its stature can be appreciated, in a mixed border or in wild or other naturalized areas. It prefers moist soil in full sun or partial shade.
CareSite in full sun or partial shade and moist soil.
PropagationSow seed in a cold frame in spring; divide hardy species in spring.
ProblemsRust, powdery mildew, white smut, Cercospora and Septoria leaf spot, Southern blight, snail, slugs.
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Height : 6 to 10 feet
- Bloom Time : Fall, Summer
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest