This short nicotiana bears fragrant, flat, star-like flowers in many colors: crimson, purple, wine, rose, pink, lime green, and white. It is a day-bloomer with uniform size and compact habit. Cultivars vary in height: from 'Domino' (12 inches), 'Nicki' (20 inches), and 'Sensation' (36 inches), up to 'Grandiflora' (48 inches), as well as flower color and foliage. Blooms face upward or horizontally and remain open in full sun.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsIdeal as a summer bedding annual. Foliage may irritate skin.
CareGrow in fertile, moist but well-drained soil in full sun or part shade. Taller cultivars may need staking. Provide a dry winter mulch where hardy.
PropagationFrom surface-sown seed in midspring.
ProblemsMosaic, vein banding, etch, and ringspot viruses. Stem rot, stalk rot, downy mildew, damping off, root rot. Aphids, caterpillars, leaf miners, and spider mites.
- Genus : Nicotiana
- Zones : 10, 11
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Bloom Time : Fall, Summer
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Flower Color : Green, Pink, Red, White
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest