This upright, treelike shrub has heart-shaped, toothed, midgreen leaves. Pendent yellow catkins are borne in late winter and early spring. Strongly twisted, spiraling shoots provide year-round interest.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsExcellent specimen tree. Use shoots in floral arrangements. If possible, purchase trees grown on their own roots to avoid rootstock suckers. A newer cultivar, 'Red Majestic', bears burgundy-colored new growth, so it has greater summer appeal.
CareGrow in fertile, well-drained soil in sun or partial shade. Ideal for alkaline soils. Prune out unwanted suckers, which can be abundant.
PropagationLayer in autumn; graft in winter.
ProblemsPowdery mildew, blight, canker, dieback, mushroom root rot, fungal spots, Gymnosporangium rust, bud mites, tent caterpillars, and webworms
- Genus : Corylus
- Plant Height : 10 to 15 feet
- Plant Width : 10 to 15 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Spring, Winter
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Plant Type : Trees
- Flower Color : Yellow