This clump-forming variety has very dramatic, deeply cut foliage with wide black veins that looks like a black snowflake when new. The dark color is more pronounced in cool weather. Plants produce a profusion of starry white flowers on numerous spires up to 12 inches high and grow to about a foot wide. Tiarellas are at home in moist woodland environments. In the garden they make wonderful carpets of intricate leaves. For a long period from spring into summer, the profusion of foamy flowers can be appreciated up close or from a distance. Grow ‘Black Snowflake’ as a groundcover or edger in a shady border or woodland garden. It is a great foil to early spring bulbs.
CareProvide moist, rich soil in part sun or full shade.
PropagationDivide the rhizomes in spring.
ProblemsRust, powdery mildew, slugs, weevils.
- Genus : Tiarella
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Moisture : Adaptable
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Spring, Spring
- Uses : Ground Covers, Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Light : Partial Shade to Full Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Flower Color : White