Boltonias are vigorous perennials grown for their sprays of aster-like flowers, which appear above clean, gray-green foliage. Their vigorous nature makes them suitable for naturalizing. They are also great in the border (and for cutting), but will benefit from frequent dividing to keep in bounds, and may be cut back in late spring for more compact plants. 'Snowbank' produces masses of white flowers in late summer.
CareProvide full sun to light shade and moist but well-drained soil. Cut back in late spring or early summer for more compact plants.
PropagationSow seed in a cold frame in autumn; divide in early spring.
ProblemsAnthracnose, rust, powdery mildew, leaf spot.
- Genus : Boltonia
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Fall, Late Fall, Late Summer, Summer
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Tolerance : Frost Tolerant
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Flower Color : White, Yellow
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.