This vigorous perennial climber bears clusters of plum-colored flower buds that open into fragrant, pinky-purple blossoms. They age to lilac and white, giving older flowers a two-toned effect. Blooms mature to glossy, burgundy bean pods that remain colorful for several weeks.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsSome references list these beans as edible, others as mildly toxic.
CareGrow in full sun and most any well-drained soil. Provide support.
PropagationIn cool climates, sow seed indoors in spring. In warm climates, sow in situ when the soil is warm.
ProblemsOccasionally affected by leaf spot and slugs.
- Genus : Lablab
- Zones : 10, 11, 9
- Plant Height : 10 to 15 feet
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers, Showy Fruit
- Light : Full Sun
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Plant Type : Vines
- Flower Color : White