This tender perennial climber is evergreen in Zones 10 and warmer. Cheerful, 1.5-inch flowers in shades of orange and yellow cover this fast-growing vine. The blossoms have a simple form: 5 petals surrounding a brownish purple center. Where grown as an annual, plants can reach 8 feet; when grown as a perennial, 20 feet.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsAnnuals, perennials, and shrubs of this genus are native to warm or tropical regions of Africa, Madagascar, and Asia. Their showy, five-lobed flowers have slender tubes that open to form flat or undulating trumpets. In warmer climates, grow perennial climbers along permanent structures and shrubs in mixed borders. Some cultivars with whitish flowers are available.
CareProvide moist, well-drained soil in full sun with some afternoon shade. In cooler zones, grow in a warm or temperate greenhouse or treat as annuals.
PropagationSow seed over 60°F, or start indoors 6-8 weeks before last frost date with heat.
ProblemsWhiteflies, scale, spider mites on indoor plants.
- Genus : Thunbergia
- Zones : 10, 11
- Plant Height : 6 to 10 feet
- Plant Width : 6 to 10 feet
- Uses : Containers
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Early Summer, Fall, Late Summer, Summer
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Characteristics : Self Seeds
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Plant Type : Vines
- Flower Color : White, Yellow