This southern California native shrub produces a dense mass of small, glossy leaves and purple, petunia-like flowers in late spring and early summer. Sporadic flowering can occur throughout the season. It grows up to 4 feet tall and 6 feet wide.
CareDesert ruellia prefers full sun and well-drained soil. In freezing climates, prune back damaged foliage in early spring.
Propagation Sow seed in spring. Root cuttings in spring or early summer.
Problems Leaf spots, rusts, root rots.
- Genus : Ruellia
- Zones : 10, 11, 9
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Spring
- Light : Full Sun
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Plant Type : North American Natives
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest