With some of the darkest foliage you’ll encounter in the genus Loropetalum, ‘Carolina Midnight’ is a great new introduction that will add some purple punch to the garden. The flowers are like dark fuchsia fireworks in a sky of purple. It is a great substitute for purple smokebush (Cotinus coggygria) in the South.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsGlossy, dark foliage; fuchsia-colored flowers
CareProvide partial shade and well-drained soil.
PropagationUsing bottom heat, root semi-ripe cuttings in summer. Plants may also be started from fresh seed.
- Genus : Loropetalum
- Zones : 10, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 10 to 15 feet
- Plant Width : 6 to 10 feet
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Spring
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Light : Partial Shade
- Flower Color : Pink
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest