This evergreen shrub is often grown as a tender perennial where not hardy. It sports long spikes of red, dangling, bell-shaped flowers with yellow throats in summer. It makes a beautiful and unique addition to a perennial or shrub border.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsDangling, reddish pink flowers with yellow throats. Attracts hummingbirds.
CareGrow in full sun and fertile, moist but well-drained soil. Can be grown as a tender perennial where not hardy. Otherwise, mulch with a dry material in winter and cut back nearly to the ground in spring.
PropagationStart seeds in a cold frame in spring; take softwood cuttings in late spring.
ProblemsWeevils and capsid bugs may bother plants.
- Genus : Phygelius
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Zones : 8, 9
- Characteristics : Attracts Hummingbirds
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Flower Color : Pink, Red
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest