This large, conical-shaped tree has dark green flattened sprays of evergreen scale-like leaves.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsNotable for its aromatic, scale-like leaves that form pendulous branches that droop in sprays, ornamented by miniature, urn-shaped cones. It also has exfoliating cinnamon-colored bark.
CarePlant in sun or part shade in just about any well-drained soil. Once established, incense cedar needs very little water, thrives in poor soils, and doesn't need fertilizer.
PropagationStart seeds in a cold frame in spring or take semi-ripe cuttings in late summer.
ProblemsSometimes bothered by rust.
- Genus : Calocedrus
- Plant Width : 15 to 30 feet
- Plant Height : 30 feet or more
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8
- Tolerance : Drought Tolerant
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Characteristics : Fragrant Foliage, Interesting Bark, Showy Foliage
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Growth Rate : Slow
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Plant Type : Trees
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.