Chaste tree is a southern favorite beginning to gain favor across the country. Whether left to grow as a large, multistemmed shrub or cut back annually for a more compact look, this selection is a winner. Fine, lacy leaves are glossy and green. Bright blue flower panicles begin to form in early summer and continue through the heat of the season and into fall. This is a reasonably cold-hardy, deer-resistant woody plant, and while V. agnus-castus is typically considered a Zone 7 plant, the variety latifolia can be grown in Zone 6 and even in southern areas of Zone 5.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsApparently, the ancient Greeks used an extract of this plant to “calm the male inner fire.” We're not sure how to put that to use in the garden.
CareThese plants are happiest in full sun and well-drained soil.
Propagation From cuttings or by seed.
Problems Leaf spot, root rot, or scale insects.
- Genus : Vitex
- Plant Height : 10 to 15 feet
- Plant Width : 10 to 15 feet
- Zones : 6, 7, 8, 9
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Fall, Late Summer, Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Fall Interest
- Growth Rate : Fast, Moderate
- Characteristics : Fragrant Foliage
- Light : Full Sun
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Plant Type : Perennials