This evergreen shrub with finely textured sage green foliage forms a perfect, 3-foot-diameter, slow-growing globe, hence its name, Mr. Bowling Ball®.
It is synonymous with ‘Linesville’.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsThis plant requires no pruning or shearing to maintain its shape. It is useful in foundation plantings, borders, and containers.
CareProvide well-drained soil in sun or part shade. It does not like wet feet.
PropagationInsert semi-ripe cuttings in late summer.
ProblemsCaterpillars, bark beetle, weevils, mites, and scale insects are common. Butt rot, twig dieback, gray mold (Botrytis), mushroom root rot, and needle blights also can occur. Deer might be a problem.
- Genus : Thuja
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
- Uses : Containers, Foliage, Foundation Plantings, Front Yard, Small Spaces, Sun
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Characteristics : Evergreen, North American Native
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Foliage Color : Green
- Maintenance : Low
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Growth Rate : Slow
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Winter Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.