These modern hybrids bear salmon-pink blossoms (‘Doris’ has scarlet in the center) and bloom freely with moderate fragrance.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsLong-blooming, salmon pink blossoms.
CareGrow in full sun and well-drained, neutral to slightly acidic soil. Use a stone or gravel mulch.
PropagationDivide in spring or fall.
ProblemsSlugs, sow bugs, grasshoppers, chipmunks, squirrels, deer. Crown rot and rust can affect plants in humid regions or those planted in poorly drained soils.
- Genus : Dianthus
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Type : Annuals
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Summer, Summer
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers, Fragrant Foliage
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Flower Color : Pink
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.