Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Audio Play Icon Headphones Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Check Icon Print Icon Note Icon Heart Icon Filled Heart Icon Single Arrow Icon Double Arrow Icon Hamburger Icon TV Icon Close Icon Sorted Hamburger/Search Icon
Member only

How to Build a Pot Fountain

Create this water feature in an afternoon

Fine Gardening - Issue 131

This video is only available to All Access members

This video is available online for the first time ever exclusively for All Access members. Sign up for a free trial to access our entire collection of videos, articles, and plant records.

Start Your Free Trial

Nothing is more relaxing than the sound of moving water in the garden. Here’s how to build a one-of-a-kind pot fountain water feature in a weekend.

This water feature consists of an underground, waterproof basin; sturdy grating; and a pot of your choice. Most of the supplies you will need can be found at a plumbing supply or hardware store or a nursery that carries water garden supplies.

Step 1: Plumb the pot

This article is only available to Fine Gardening members

View Comments


  1. trishaskeltonhedman 06/01/2014

    Where can I buy the basin and the plastic grate?

    1. user-7006998 06/10/2014

      I have see them on Amazon. I ordered the Little Giant 36"one. Don't have it installed yet. All of them are around 200$

  2. shirleygarrity 06/02/2014

    Where can I find a cheap ceramic pot like that??

    1. user-7006998 06/10/2014

      If you find cheap let us know. Otherwise Garden Ridge, Home Depot have them around 199$.

      1. user-7007798 09/04/2015

        Buy the 26" round plastic plantar at Lowes in the pond section for a reservoir. Cost @$12.
        The tall pot can be bought at Kroger in the spring. @$25
        Also, at Lowes is a small fountain pump @$20

        1. user-7008084 05/23/2016

          Keep in mind that there are 12v pumps available, allowing you to place the fountain a good distance away from the house.

        2. carlenedomangue 06/14/2016

          @Cathy,Thx for that info! What did you use for the heavy duty plastic grate?

          1. user-7007798 06/14/2016

            I, actually, just used some small wire mesh like what is used for a rabbit cage. I cut out a place for pump ware and placed it over the basin. I covered with river rocks and buried the edges with mulch.

          2. carlenedomangue 06/14/2016

            Thank you!

    2. user-7007027 06/18/2014

      I found them at the close-out stores such as Ollies and Big Lots; inexpensive quality ceramic pots ($30-$80 depending on size). I purchased several for our decks & patio.

  3. mrsreagan 05/22/2015

    Okay, this is ridiculous.

  4. user-7007754 08/08/2015

    to me finding a reasonable priced glazed pot is the challenge??

    1. user-7008084 05/23/2016

      Ollies, if you live in the Pennsylvania/Maryland/DC area, has loads of pots, some you'd need a friendly lumberjack to help carry.

  5. dfdies 09/29/2015

    above is misleading. What she means is purchase "one" 3/4" by 1" barb fitting, (that means the 3/4 side is the threaded male side you stick in the pot hole and the 1" side is the barb. Note: NOTHING IS LENGTH, we are talking diameter here and that is how home improvements stores sell it. The other error is a "one" 3/4" PVC female adapter, You need one end to be a threaded female and the other end to be smooth (no threads). smooth end is where the 3/4" pipe goes in.

    Finally, the pump for this is about $100 (950 GPH or greater). Please look at the pump. MOST have a 3/4" outlet and you will have to buy another barb fitting to screw (or glue) onto the pump outlet. (if it is 1" then get the right size barb fitting)

    FINALLY: the corrugated tubing is pricey because they will sell in in a 20 ft length. You can purchase clear plastic tubing by the foot. In our example above we used a 1" barb so you have to buy 1" tubing. Pay attention! You want the 1" ID tubing NOT the 1" OD tubing.

    As to the plastic grate.........hard to find. Much easier to buy wire shelving and trim to size. Hope this helps! -------------Dr. Dave

    1. carlenedomangue 06/14/2016

      @dfdies-Any suggestions on the flexible screen/mesh?

      1. dfdies 06/14/2016

        yes, they sell at home depot or lowes. Look outside in garden area. Typically sold as "deerblock protective mesh" or "birdblock protective netting" or if you want wire, then get the "poultry netting". This will be supported by your grate (which I was unable to find, so I just bought wire shelving and trimmed to size). Mine is beautiful, however it gets dirty after a time and had to suck out all the water and replace. Will try to keep some bleach in it next time. SAVE THE RECEIPT for your pump as it is typically warranty for 2 years.

        1. carlenedomangue 06/15/2016

          Thank you! What is better than bleach is peroxide. :) My father-in-law has a small pond w/fish that is about 2500 gallons. He puts 6 bottles of peroxide once a week. Of course without fish it would not need to be done as often.

  6. user-7008816 08/05/2017

    How do I get water from one pot to another pot with a hose I've got a pot filled with water and the other just up on its side just a little higher with stones in and the hose is in the bottom of the water pot feeding through to the other pot but no water is coming out of hose just want it to drip through nicely and I'm not sure how to do it??? Pls pls help? X

Log in or become a member to post a comment on this article.

Related Articles

The Latest

Magazine Cover

Take your passion for plants to the next level

Subscribe today and save up to 44%

"As a recently identified gardening nut I have tried all the magazines and this one is head and shoulders above the pack."


View All