This vigorous perennial bears elegant clusters of pure white flowers marked with purple or pale violet from early to late summer. Semi-evergreen basal rosettes and deciduous or semi-evergreen stems are also often marked reddish purple.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsEasy to grow and cold hardy. Attracts bees.
CareGrow in well-drained soil.
PropagationTake softwood cuttings in early summer or semi-ripe cuttings in mid-summer. Divide in spring.
ProblemsPowdery mildew, rust, leaf spots, and Southern blight. Slugs and snails may damage young plants.
- Genus : Penstemon
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Characteristics : Attracts Hummingbirds, Showy Foliage
- Light : Full Sun
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Flower Color : White