This erect perennial has basal rosettes and stems bearing lance-shaped mid-green leaves. The plant bears long panicles of scarlet or yellow flowers from early summer to early autumn.
CareEasy to grow in fertile, well-drained soil and full sun to part shade.
PropagationTake softwood cuttings in early summer or semi-ripe cuttings in mid-summer. Divide in spring.
ProblemsPowdery mildew, rust, leaf spots, and Southern blight. Slugs and snails may damage young plants.
- Genus : Penstemon
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Moisture : Adaptable
- Bloom Time : Fall, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Red, Yellow
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest