This plant’s leaves are large and bright green, with fine hairs, and grow to about 12 inches across. Small pink flowers emerge in spring, but it’s the foliage that really shines.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsUseful in woodland or shady beds. May be hard to find in nurseries.
PropagationDivide clumps or root rhizomes in spring or autumn every 3 to 5 years. Root young rhizomes in sand or in soil.
ProblemsSometimes affected by fungal leaf spot and rhizome rot. Weevils, slugs, snails, caterpillars, and foliar nematodes.
- Genus : Bergenia
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Spring
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Light : Partial Shade to Full Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink
- Uses : Shade
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.