This evergreen, California-native shrub grows to 20 feet tall and wide and produces abundant clusters of tiny white flowers in early summer, which attract beneficial insects that help control pests. This is followed by bright red berries that feed wildlife in fall and winter. The only species of its genus, Toyon is closely related to the genus Photinia .
CareToyon prefers full sun to partial shade and well-drained soil and is drought resistant.
- Zones : 10, 11, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 15 to 30 feet
- Plant Width : 15 to 30 feet
- Tolerance : Drought Tolerant
- Moisture : Dry
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Fall Interest
- Light : Full Sun
- Plant Type : North American Natives
- Characteristics : Showy Fruit
- Flower Color : White
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.